The Phone Call
I’m in an old man’s store using his phone to make an urgent phone call.
Voice: This is the W. H. E. We Help Everyone. What you want?
Me: Well I was trying to call 911 and I think I dialed the wrong number.
Voice: You don't need no 911 girl. I can help you. We not called W.H.E for nothing. Oh and when you say it, the H is silent.
Me: No thank you. Considering my situation I don't think I should waste my time....
Voice: WASTE YOUR TIME! That's what they all say. Look, trust me you’re not wasting your time. Now you called us now let us help. If you didn't want our help then you shouldn't have dialed our number.
Me: In my defense I pressed the wrong button.
Voice: Well it's not my fault you pressed 919 instead of 911. Now that don't make sense, you pressed more than one wrong button.
Me: I can't help it. I have large fingers and the buttons on this phone are tiny.
Voice: Hahahaha. Well lady it looks like you are stuck with me.
Me: Isn’t there someone else I can talk to?
Voice: Look lady the answer is no. So will you please just explain the situation?
Me: Well I came home to find a car in my driveway.....
Voice: Would you explain what it looked like outside?
Me: Why? It has nothing to do with the situation.
Voice: It has everything to do with it. Now please explain what the day was like and don’t be afraid to use details.
Me: Huh. It was sunny and cloudy. There was a nice breeze blowing. Birds were flying and chirping. I live on Chocolate Road.......
Voice: Really, girl I gotta a cousin that lives over there and he be acting all stuck up. Like he too rich to holla at his cousin for a minute. Girl one time I seen him somewhere in public and he wouldn’t even open his mouth and speak to me. I felt so hurt.
Me: Can I get back to my story now?
Voice: Oh my bad. Girl when I start talking it’s like I can’t stop. My mamma told me that was my flaw. I had to set her straight and tell her that I don’t have any flaws and if she couldn’t accept me for who I am...
Me: Excuse me but can we please get back to me? No. don’t even answer that. I couldn’t park in my drive way cause there was a car park there. So I had to park on the side of the street....
Voice: You don’t know who was parked in your driveway? Girl what’s wrong with you. I would’ve been busting windows and tires and everything else.
Me: Like I was saying, I didn’t recognize the car at first. I tried to get out the car and accidentally bump my forehead and I planted my butt back onto my seat. The second I tried to get out the car I was more careful. I had my palm on my forehead trying to stop it from hurting.
Voice: Girl you know that wasn’t going to work. Every time I see somebody doing that it just irks my nerves cause they know good and well that they can’t stop a headache with their palm.....
Me: Like I was saying, when I walked closer to the car I noticed it was an old friend of mine that use to like me way back in high school. I had bump into him at the Car Wash one day and we exchange numbers but I don’t know how he found out where I live.
Voice: Duh, Girl I can tell you that. The phonebook. Everybody’s name, number, and address is listed in there. Do you know what the phonebook looks like? They are big, yellow and have a bunch of numbers in them.
Me: Well anyway, I walked to my door and it was wide open and I was getting nervous by now. I walked into my living room and the place is totally destroyed. I’m bugging out now and my instincts are telling me to call the police but the phone is in the kitchen. I was really scared and it felt like my heart would beat out of my chest.....
Voice: Girl this sound like that nice school mate of yours didn’t like you as much as you thought. I tell girls like you all the time that you gotta watch out for guys today. They can be all smiley in your face then when you ain’t looking they go all crazy.
Me: Look, no more interruptions. I’m trying to tell you my problems. Promise me no more interruptions.
Voice: Okay lady. I won’t interrupt anymore.
Me: Okay. Now my heart was beating really fast when I took a step toward the kitchen. I had a sharp pain shoot up from my foot. I looked at the sole of my foot and there was a piece of glass. I pulled it out and walked slowly to the kitchen and when I entered there he was. He had a knife in his palm cutting away at his wrist. I stopped in my tracks and just stood there with my mouth wide open. I was trying to comprehend what was happening.
Voice: Girl are you stupid? Before you could even blink I would have been gone. That’s the type of crazy you don’t wait around for. You didn’t have to use your phone. I know your neighbor would have l. You could have used they phone.
Me: Didn’t you promise not to interrupt?
Voice: Now if my memory is correct I did not promise not to interrupt. I promise not to interrupt did not leave my mouth.
Me: Fine! Now just shut your mouth. After a few minutes he looked up at me and I lost my ability to breathe. He cocked his head to one side taking me all in. He dropped the knife and charge toward me. Before I could move he had grabbed my arm. I tried to scream but he placed his palm over my mouth. Remembering I had control over my body, I took my front of knee and shoved it hard into his abdomen. He releases me slightly and I shook my arm free. Quickly I hit him hard on his cheek.
Voice: That’s right girl. You show that boy what girl power is all about. I feel like I’m watching a movie. The only thing missing is the popcorn.
Me: Anyway. I ran to the other side of the island in the middle of the room. I was trying to think of the fastest way to get out of the house. He recovered quickly and chased me around the island. I messed up when my foot slipped and I hit my hip on a corner of the island sending me to the floor. I landed on my back. My feet stumbled trying to get up. I didn’t notice how close he was to me until I felt his palm wrapped around my neck. He squeezed and I was quickly running out of air. Somehow I manage to connect my elbow with his nose. He releases me and I crawled away searching for air. Regaining some air I turned around watching his holding his head back with his nose in the air. He had his back turned toward me and I took my foot and kicked him in his back of knee. He buckled and fell to the floor.
Voice: Girl you are crazy. After the first time I hit him I would had made fast bunny tracks out of there. But you wanna stay and play Wonder Women. Girl everybody can’t be no hero.
Me: Like I was saying, I could see how angry he was. I knew he was going to kill me. In a flash he was on his feet and punching me in my breast. I took steps back trying to get away from him but that didn’t work. He grabbed me hard by my armpit. I swung at him and somehow successfully punched him in his chin. I crushed my front of knee hard into his reproductive organ sending him doubling over in pain.
Voice: Now you know that was the oldest move in the book. The guy must be stupid if he didn’t see that one coming.
Me: I know. I can’t remember why but I jumped on top of the counter. I was scraping my front of knees on the loose tile. I picked up the knife and hid it behind my back. He recovered from my low blow and was back on his feet. He looked at me and his mouth formed into a smile. He held his head to the side. I told him not to come any closer but he didn’t listen. He jumped on me and we both landed on the floor. I quickly sat up on my butt and drove the knife into his chest.
Voice: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH. You killed the man. You killed the man.
Me: Please calm down. He’s not dead yet. That’s why I ran to go get help. I couldn’t use my phone because the cords were cut. I went to see if I use the neighbors and they were not home. So I ran to this store down on the corner. There’s an old man working at the counter. So when I told him I needed to use the phone he was like huh. He put his hand by his ear and that’s when I screamed I needed to use the phone. Look.... what’s your name?
Voice: Tracy.
Me: Well Tracy I had to pay for this phone call and I only had enough money for one call. I have a man dying at my house and I need you to help me.
Tracy: That is what I do. There are two things you need to do. Listen carefully because you need to do things just as I say. You ready?
Me: Of course just hurry.
Tracy: According to this book of emergency, the first thing you need to do is call an ambulance. Then you need to call the police. I hope this information is helpful and thank for calling. Bye.
No comments:
Post a Comment