|
Soon the day arrived for which most of the boys like me aspire for. Hello, please don't misinterpret this aspiration to be the ambition of getting higher marks. We do aspire for other things too. Yes, you are now on the right track. Today, I was on my date with Riya. And for the first time it was Raj and Riya all alone in an expensive restaurant, sitting with each other in the loneliest corner. "What should I order for you?” I questioned, making myself comfortable on the cozy sofa looking deep into her eyes. I could see myself in the mirror huge enough to be declared as a wall, which was behind Riya. For a change, the mirror respected my look and was enthralled to confirm that I was looking just fabulous, like never before. The confidence level was so high that I could judge the fumbles of Miss Riya, who was little uncomfortable today. Like the way, I used to be. Same people with opposite reactions must say 'God is great'. "So, you didn't answer what you would like to have?” "A glass of water will do,” she said in a low voice, with her eyes concentrated to the napkin holder. I signaled the waiter to bring some more water for the fourth time. The waiter, making faces at the people who just came from the draught area, kept one more glass of water on our table. Enough of waiting for her to order, it would rather be a better idea to order by myself. Why to trouble the poor creature when she couldn't even dare to look up? "Two Cheese Sandwiches and some mixed fruit juice,” I said to the waiter and moving my head towards Riya, I asked, "Will it be fine, Riya?” She nodded without raising her head, as if trying hard to discover any visible hole in the table to jump in and never ever turn back. "That's all,” I affirmed to the waiter, to make him walk out of our privacy. She was sitting on the edge of the sofa. I wanted to tell her to make herself comfortable, as in anyway we would be made to pay the complete bill. However, I measured that it wouldn't be a good idea to disturb her, when she didn't really appear to be at ease. On the other hand, I was much relaxed trying to make the maximum use of the place, enjoying the soft music. "Here's your order, Sir,” said the waiter, keeping the things on the table. For a long time, our sandwiches found themselves more contented in decorating the table. I was tempted towards my delicious looking sandwich. On the contrary, Riya was much fascinated by her thoughts, not even looking at the sandwich. I was getting impatient. The sandwiches on the table stimulated my hunger. I couldn't resist it anymore and started munching my yummy-yummy sandwich. She remained unmoved. What it was with her, I failed to understand. She found it difficult to look at me. It was ok but at least one shouldn't avoid eating. I knew, I should have waited for her to start but I hardly regret. It's better to swallow than starve. "Please eat,” I said, displaying my left over courtesy. "Oh yes,” said Riya fumbling with her fork and knife. And like a good disciple she followed my command. I was happy to see her eating. Poor baby, I really love her. "So, did you like it?” I asked, discarding the idea of 'no talk while eating'. "Yes…I mean I don't like cheese but otherwise it's ok.” "Why didn't you tell me earlier???” I said, interrupting my lavish consumption. "Because I know you love cheese so how could I say no,” said Riya, lifting her head for a moment. Huff! So much of affection for me, someone please let me know where should I go now? It was something unfair on my part. I mean not bothering to know what she likes and what she doesn't, but she had done all her homework. ![]() "Let me order something else for you. Do you want to try vegetable burger? It's awesome here.” "It's ok, Raj. I have already finished half of it and there is hardly any space left in my stomach for the burger.” "But that's not correct. Leave the rest and let me order you a burger.” "Don't worry so much, Raj,” she said, elevating her innocent face. Her eyes met mine. She added, "It's ok dear…I mean, it's an expensive restaurant and I don't want to be a burden to you…neither now nor ever.” Phew! I was amazed with her words, which really depicted the picture of her beautiful heart, showing me residing deep within it. I could sense the care and respect she had for me. It was obvious for me not to force her a lot and to give respect to her feelings in return. Her head once again dipped in her plate, leaving me to again go in a phase where I had ample time to admire the looks of the waiter. She was nibbling at her sandwich, while it had been ages since I finished that lip-smacking stuff. It was ok. I mean, if she had been understanding towards me I also tried not to bother her much. Let her finish at her own pace, who the hell was in a hurry. Something suddenly struck my foot. It appeared as if she had kicked me. "Are you sure you are ok with it,” I asked her. "I am fine. Don't worry about me. If you feel like having something else, please order,” she said and this time a pleasing face rose in front of me, for a moment. Bang! Again she kicked me forcing me to think about what she was up to. This was a fairly strange way of expressing herself. I turned around and started to laugh. It was quite bizarre. Instantaneously, the waiter took his service tray and dashed it on my head. The impact of the unkindness was so severe that I lost all my control, which resulted in banging my head on the table. How could he! I lifted my head in a flick with a sole aim to teach him a lesson but he wasn't there. It was Sunny with a book in his hand. I turned around and the whole ambience was changed. It didn't take time for me to realize that I was there in the classroom enjoying my dreams. And it was not Riya but it was Aki who was kicking me, so that I could revisit the reality and face Mrs. Dass our English teacher, who was dying to create an unrevealed spot after spotting me existing in a different spot. "Get up, you.” said Mrs. Dass. I lifted my butt out of the bench in order to honor the call. Mrs. Dass was our English teacher. She was a 45 to 50 years old lady wearing a white sari and an extra large red bindi revealing her pain was still alive and people shouldn't misinterpret her husband, to be a part of other world looking at her colorless clothes. Her black and white hair with ex-young face having the flavor of anger together with her dressing style, appeared as if a character from Ramsay Brothers' horror films had appeared in the class. I was stunned and why wouldn't I be? After being in such a beautiful dream, suddenly I was obligated to face such a horrible thing. There was silence in the class. Everyone knew that she was angry and nobody wanted to be her prey. In fact, all were more interested in gambling a bet on my luck. "Dreaming in the class…don't you know day dreaming is harmful?” Please someone explain it to her, if dreams are as awesome as this, who the bloody hell wishes to come back to this mean world again. "Sorry Mam,” I said, bringing some apology throughout my body language, making myself look like a poor child who was regretful about what had happened. "What do you mean by sorry? Sorry can't make a dead man alive,” she roared at the top of her voice. I stood as quiet as I could. "You have not only spoiled my time but spoiled the time of your class-mates who really wish to learn something.” Thanks for letting me know that my dream was adequately loud to distract everyone and that her scoldings were going to be beneficial and so very time utilizing. "I don't understand, why you come to school if you are least interested in studies,” she continued to fire more rounds, ultimately to my love life. I maintained my position without a word. "Get lost from my class and don't even dare to enter till the bell rings.” These were the farewell words from her, thunderous enough to win over the barks of the stray dogs competing outside the premises. I didn't really understand, if her married life was not going well, why didn't she get divorced. At least, we students would be spared from such third degree treatment. I walked out of the classroom calculating the extent of damage by exploring exploitation exposing expressions. I was disturbed with the severe blow to my reputation, demolishing all my efforts towards Riya. That was not the way. I mean, it was height of humiliation and to a person like me, who was not even disturbing her. Yes, I knew I was sleeping but I wasn't creating any nuisance, like some of her favorite students used to generate and for them she had a bigger heart. It was all dirty politics out here. What a mess that woman had littered on my image in front of Riya. I went to the wash-basin and washed my face. But circumstance had made up its mind to create more evilness for my life. To make the situation still worse, on my way back the Principal caught me roaming in the corridor. Shit man! My friends often say the first face you see after getting up reveals how your day will be and this day soon after rising I had faced the mirror. Father Dicosta, as usual, was in his extra-white gown. No wonder we students called him 'Rin Supreme'. "Why are you here?” asked Rin Supreme with a strange look. "Actually…I…I was…,” I stammered. How could I tell him that I was roaming in my wonderland and was caught in action by the teacher. "Can't you speak?” How nice it would be, if I really had been dumb. "Sorry, Father.” "Will you tell me or should I ask your teacher?” Again a problem; if he would enter the classroom to talk to Mrs. Dass it would create more disaster for my reputation in front of Riya. That was something which I didn't want as things had just started to grow with Riya and I couldn't allow these people to spoil everything. God! Why me, always. There appeared no easy exit. Needed to check my horoscope before leaving for the school, surely there would have been some warning for me, regarding the color- white. "Are you ready to speak or shall we move?” said Father Dicosta with much disgust on his face. "Sorry father, I was caught…sleeping in the class,” I said with an enormous effort keeping the head tucked in as much as possible, showing how ashamed I was, for this so called misconduct of mine. "Sleeping, that too in the lecture deserves no excuse. Now what should I do with you?” He was asking me, as if he does nothing in this school without my permission. "Sorry Father…I will not do it again. Please pardon me this time,” I said with a lump in my throat, trying all to win his sympathy. But he was not amused by my crocodile act. He stood as firm as a rock. There were very few in this world who fell in my trap. My mother was one of them. Rest remain unaltered like Rin Supreme. "Pardon you, for what. One can be forgiven for a mistake not for a crime. What you have done is a crime,” he said, showing repulsion on his face, overruling my appeal. His words made me feel like crying. I was hoping that he shouldn't call my parents as this was his customary practice. "Follow me to my cabin,” he said, moving towards his cabin. I was really worried about his plans. I kept my guess work on, sketching scary things while following him to his chamber. He sat comfortably in his A/C room. I just thought this would cool his anger. But viewing his temper at the moment even ten A/Cs were likely to fall short. "So what should I do with you?” he said, looking out for something, may be his cane. Again the same question. I thought, I should also give my name in the nomination list designed for the selection of new principal. After all, people here found me competent enough, to advice them for their each and every move. But I was much aware that my condition was like that of the remote with old batteries, so very helpless. And these questions were just to play games with my sentiments. He would do whatever he thinks was correct. I kept singing the same half-an-hour old song about being sorry till the discovery of the cane was met with victory. He had a very bad reputation with the cane. The one who gets its experience never even dares to forget it. After that what he did with me and the cane need not to be revealed. "Go to your class and henceforth I don't want to listen to any complains.” "Sorry Father, I will not do it again.” "If you are really sorry show it in your conduct. Now leave the cabin,” he said. Still the weather conditions hadn't improved despite of he massive thunderbolts that had loosened each and every bolt of my body. I paced out of his cabin. I was in pain but the incident was something ok-ok type. Just because when Rin Supreme gets angry any disaster could crop up, right from calling parents to getting thrown out of the school. At least he had shown some courtesy by thrashing me in a closed cabin, unlike Mrs. Dass who was on a shoot out right in front of the whole class. Huff! Such a heavy price just to dream about Riya; won’t be wrong to say, indeed, she deserved to be called an expensive commodity!!! |
Sunday, 28 July 2013
Dream Come True
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment